I get questions like what’s my hair care routine and I just laugh in my head because this sis has no serious hair care routine other than what I blogged about on Hair Weekend and this that I am writing now.
I sometimes forget I have natural hair for I wear wigs I bought from Zanaposh and kind of busy to sit down every 3-4 weeks for a new hair do.
- Whenever I do remember and think of treating my hair, I do this homemade D.I.Y hair mask routine that comprises of Avocado, eggs, mayonnaise, unsweetened/no sugar yoghurt, (sometimes I add banana and onion but the downside to adding them is, it takes longer time to be washed out).
Having assembled all these , it’s blended with a blender thoroughly adding little or no water.
First, I partition my loosened hair into four or six parts depending on how energetic I am or if my friends are around for most times, we do it together. Get enough of the aforementioned, blend and take seat turn by turn to apply on each others hair.
We start with one side and part the hair little by little, applying into each little sectioned hair enough and tying into bantu after each application.
It mustn’t always come out this neat especially when wet.
Having masked all sections of the hair and tied into bantu, we cover our hair with shower cap.
Ideally it should be left on the hair for like 2-3 hours and washed off but Association of lazy people that includes my friends and I leave it in overnight for we usually mask our hair at night and sleep with it Weekends.
Because we would be sleeping with the hair mask, we first cover a little tightly with a big nylon so that it doesn’t sip through while we are asleep then the shower cap.
Mind you, especially our first time of trying out this home made mask, our pillow cover was messed up by morning but subsequent times having learnt how to sleep with it, my pillow cover no longer gets messy by morning.
So will be advisable to do this when you have to change the bed linen in the morning for laundry which is only if you are doing overnight like us for better hair result.
By morning, first rinse out the hair mask then gently massage your hair with a conditioner.
I usually start with the rinse out conditioner then followed by leave in conditioner. Initially my leave in conditioner was cantu but with time I realised it dries up my hair leaving it shrivelled kind off so I stopped using it and found another good leave in conditioner.
As usual, you have to find a leave in conditioner that is suitable for your hair for while others love cantu leave in conditioner, my hair doesn’t.
We don’t shampoo out our hair for we carefully wash out the mask with clean running shower but I learnt some people use shampoo and I would say, use good shampoo containing right nutrients for your hair.
After applying leave in conditioner, let hair dry on it’s own without help from the hair hand drier for protein which we have applied on our hair and heat do not go together. Heat dentures the protein and we want no such thing for our hair that is in need of protein for it to grow and be soft.
When it must have dried up a little at room temperature, I braid it into four or six and either braid my hair later with attachment or fix the hair but if not then it’s corn-rowed for wig wearing.
While still braided into four I apply the oils I mentioned in Hair Weekend which are home made too or bought from the stores.
I have updated the oils, added new oils which I hope to blog about later but for now let’s go through briefly the importance of the hair mask ingredients I use.
- They contain biotin which are good for lustrous hair.
- Moisturizes the hair
- Promotes hair growth
- Revitalizes Hair
- Prevents dandruff
- Strengths the hair especially having gone through enough hair chemical treatments and heat.
- Heals damaged hair
- Improves Hair elasticity
- Curbs Hair loss
- Promotes Hair growth
- Nourishes and strengthens hair roots
- Yoghurt contains lactic acid which is great for cleansing the scalp same time clearing out dead skin cells that aids proper hair growth .
- It aids get rid of dandruff with it’s antifungal properties tha soothes the scalp.
- It helps tame frizzy hair.
- Yoghurt is as well known for it’s smothering properties.
- It’s also an anti inflammatory agent for the hair.
- Mayonnaise is known to contain egg yolk and some other ingredients which work together to nourish and moisturize all hair types.
Well, you can prepare your mayonnaise yourself but Association of lazy people that includes my friends and I buy ours but I believe preparing it yourself makes it nutritious.
- Mayonnaise protects and strengthens coloured hair which is a bonus for gorgeous ladies that colour their hair.
- It defines curls
- Treats dandruff as well
- It promotes hair growth.
- There’s a theory that it suffocated hair lice thereby killing it. Errm ain’t sure and haven’t tried it out before.
- It leaves hair soft and silky especially for those of us with hard, strong 4c hair like mine.
- Bananas are great for hair and scalp. They improve manageability and shine, prevent and control dandruff, and moisturize the scalp.
- Bananas are rich in potassium, natural oils, carbohydrates and vitamins, which help soften the hairand protect the hair’s natural elasticity, preventing split ends and breakage.
- Onion juice helps improve hair growth by boosting the level of an antioxidant enzyme catalase. This enzyme helps decompose hydrogen peroxide, optimizing the hair growth cycle.
- It helps nourish your hair follicles with its rich content of sulfur. Sulfur is essential for the regeneration of your hair follicles.
- The rich sulfur content also helps minimize hair thinning and breakage.
- The antioxidants help reverse premature graying and delay graying.
- Onion’s rich antibacterial properties help keep your scalp healthy and free of infection, promoting unhindered hair growth. These same properties also help control dandruff.
- Onion juice stimulates your scalp and improves the circulation of blood, resulting in it follicles that are well-nourished.
- It is said that it helps to prevent head and neck cancer.
If you can’t stand the smell of onion, you might as well leave out onion while preparing the hair mask .
This D.I.Y hair mask can be modified, tweaked in so many ways by adding maybe honey and some other oils.
If you have other D.I.Y hair mask you can share with me via comment section or email. Would be willing to try that out and maybe give a review as long as my hairs don’t fall off at the end.
Till my next post, stay subscribed for more.