Welcome back ladies and Gentlemen. Thank you for stopping by and today it’s awareness on a not so popular cancer which exists and is fast killing beautiful women in the globe…. Cervical Cancer .
For the sake of non health professional individuals I would like to start by summarily explaining that cervix is the lower part of the uterus where a baby grows during pregnancy which connects to the vagina, so the next time you see a pregnant woman , remember her baby is growing somewhere and that somewhere can become cancerous when a woman is subjected to multiple pregnancies especially women who get pregnant yearly in search of a son for “unenlightened men” as I talked about on LionHeart Movie post.
Cervical cancer is a type of cancer affecting the cells of the cervix caused by HPV- Human Papilloma Virus, a virus that is spread majorly through Sexual activity .
Initially, a woman’s immune system prevents the virus from causing harm to her when she gets in contact with this virus but this “ogbonge” virus has the ability to survive for years in a woman’s body without the woman’s permission, contributing to the process(without again being asked for contribution quota) that causes the cervical cells to become cancerous .
In a normal scenario, healthy cells grow and multiply at a pace set for them and eventually die off but not in cancerous scenario. These cells don’t actually die, they grow without control, multiply out of control, accumulate, form a congress( a mass biko), invade nearby tissues and organs, break off and travel to spread in other areas of the body and this is called metastasis .
HPV has been identified as the virus which contributes and plays immense role in cervical cancer and other risk factors which are involved include:
- Early Sexual Activity
- Many sexual partners
- Multiple Pregnancies : this factor annoys me especially in rural areas. You just see one house hold with upto 7-10 children running around like errm I Dunno. It’s a whole lot of work training 3-4 yafoduzie 8kids, how will they get that maximum attention, love, care, affection, proper well being,education from their parents? Or those women that are subjected to multiple Pregnancies in search of a Male child. Could you oh man, allow your wife to breath? And you woman, I understand sometimes, the men really don’t care and see all kids as important but MBA you will be disturbing yourself about Male child, hear ye now it’s a risk factor of Cervical cancer and other health issues.
- Other sexually transmitted infections like HIV/AIDS, gonorrhoea, syphilis .
- Weak Immune System which is seen in immunocompromised individuals ,comorbid diseases etc
- Smoking: this has been associated with squamous Cell cervical cancer . Someday I hope to discuss the various health hazards of smoking but hanty why have you chosen smoking of all bad habits.
Initially the early stage of cervical cancer doesn’t show any symptom infact Symptoms are eventually noticed when it has progressed and they are
- Pelvic pain or pain during sexual activity
- Vaginal bleeding after intercourse, between periods or menopause.
- Watery, bloody discharge that may be heavy with foul smell.
Screening: Early screening goes a long way in early detection of the cancer and it is believed that precancerous cells begin to change at age 21 so imagine screening at 24 or 25 years and this is detected, you stand a chance of being cervical cancer survivor. Screening tests include
- Pap Smear : This involves scrapping , brushing cells from the cervix and examining in the laboratory for abnormalities . I understand the test is quite expensive and some countries have taken it upon themselves to make it either free or affordable in their country but where it isn’t, no amount for screening can be compared to treatment of the cancer. Get screened today! Ask your female friends, sisters, mothers… hey beautiful have you gone for pap smear screening? Or when last were you pap-smeared and when they don’t understand, show them this post.
- HPV DNA test equally involves testing the cells collected for infection with any of the HPV types that are responsible for causing cervical cancer and in event of abnormalities further tests are carried out for proper diagnosis.
- Punch biopsy
- Endocervical curettage
- Electrical wire loop
Discuss with your GP for maybe explanation on which of the last 3 form of diagnosis is comfortable for you… this is a blog and not hospital , go for proper diagnosis.
Just like every other cancer, treatment options are influenced by stage of the cancer, health comorbid,individual preferences but it still boils down to
- Surgery: Radical hysterectomy and simple hysterectomy
- Palliative care which is given along side the first three treatment options
You don’t just stop after treatment, go for routine follow ups.
Remember when detected early, it’s curable and you become a survivor.
**Go for screening today and encourage one another to go for screening**
It can be prevented by getting vaccinated.
If you haven’t been vaccinated yet, book to get vaccinated today and live a cervical cancer free life.
Till I post another interesting topic, stay healthy.
P.s: Stay glued, we will be having an interesting discussion on a sensitive topic soon, if you haven’t subscribed, subscribe below
Share to any female in your life and around you, you never can tell whose life that will be saved